This is applicable for foreign professionals and entrepreneurs working in Singapore, with a valid work permit, to take note. The following guideline set by Ministry of Manpower (MOM) and Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA):
- Applicants who wish to pursue full-time studies in a Singapore Institution are required to cancel their work pass and apply for a student's pass. The granting of the student's pass is subject to ICA's approval.
- Applicants must submit proof of cancellation of work pass with MOM or a copy of social visit pass that is currently valid. SIM GE will inform you on the submission of these documents via email.
International students wishing to pursue full-time studies in a Singapore institution are required to apply for a student’s pass. SIM GE can only provide assistance to submit your application. The granting of the student’s pass is subject to Singapore’s Immigration & Checkpoints Authority’s approval.
New applications must be submitted at least 2 to 6 months from the course commencement date. Applicants are not required to be present in Singapore while their applications are being considered. No extension of stay will be considered while the applications are being processed. Applicants are advised to enter Singapore to complete the formalities for the issueance of a Student's Pass only after their applications have been approved. They will be issued with the Student's Passes within one month from the course commencement date.
- New applications are to be submitted via the SIMConnect Applicant Portal
The following additional documents may be required upon further request from ICA:
1. Applicant is a national from a visa-required country
- Documentary proof of financial ability in the form of bank statements/fixed deposit accounts/saving accounts (photocopy).
2. One of the applicant's parents/step parents is a Singapore Citizen/Permanent Resident.
- Parent's/step parent's official marriage/divorce certificate and applicant's custody paper, where applicable (photocopy);
- Parent's/step parent's highest educational certificate (photocopy);
- Parent's/step parent's letter of employment (letter should state date of commencement of employment, designation, and salary per month) or copy of Business Registration Certificate (Instant Computer Printout) if applicant's parent/step parent is self-employed. These documents should not be issued more than 1 month ago;
- Parent's/step-parent’s monthly CPF contribution for the past 12 months;
- Parent's/step-parent’s Income Tax Assessment Notices for the past 3 years (photocopy).
3. Applicant's spouse is a Singapore Citizen/Singapore Permanent Resident
- Spouse's marriage/divorce certificate, where applicable (photocopy);
- Spouse's highest educational certificates (photocopy);
- Spouse's letter of employment (letter should state date of commencement of employment, designation, and salary per month) or Business Registration Certificate (Instant Computer Printout) if applicant's spouse is self-employed. These documents should not be issued more than 1 month ago;
- Spouse's monthly CPF contribution for the past 12 months;
- Spouse's Income Tax Assessment Notices for the past 3 years (photocopy).
Note: Successful applicants are required to produce all original copies of their basic and supporting documents for verification when collecting the Student’s passes.
Documents required when collecting the Student’s Pass
- ICA In-principle Approval Letter
- SIM Offer Letter
- Original Birth Certificate
- Original Education Qualifications
- Medical Report (if required)
- Embarkation/Disembarkation Card
- Passport size photographs
- Terms & Conditions of Student's Pass (STP) Card
- Booking an e-appointment with ICA
Note: If documents are not in English, please provide a translated or notarised version.
Renewal of Student’s Pass
This section applies to students who are renewing their Student’s Passes to continue the same course in the same school. Please submit the STP Application to SIM via SIMConnect at least 4 weeks before the expiry of your current Student' Pass.
Transfer of Student's Pass
For students who are changing programme, please submit the STP Application to SIM via SIMConnect at least 4 weeks before the start of the new programme.
The normal processing time is 4-5 weeks upon receipt of the Student’s Pass application and required documents. However, some applications may take a longer time to process. The local sponsor and education institution will be notified of the outcome of the application by post.
Payment and collection
Upon approval of the Student’s Pass application, the applicant/ student is required to complete formalities and collect the Student’s Pass in person at the ICA's officer, 4th storey, ICA Building with the required original documents. The completion of formalities is strictly by appointment only via the ICA e-appointment facility.
The Student’s Pass will be issued if the conditions as stipulated in the In-Principle Approval letter are fulfilled.
The fee for the Student’s Pass is S$60. If the applicant requires a visa to enter Singapore, the applicant needs to pay an additional fee of S$30 for the visa. The fees are payable when the applicant completes the formalities to collect the Student’s Pass.
Please make payment by NETS or CashCard
In-Principle-Approval Letter (IPA)/ Social Visit Pass (SVP)
The In-Principle-Approval letter is a document to allow students to gain entry into Singapore.
Social Visit Pass (SVP) stamped onto the passport upon arrival is the official approval to stay in Singapore. Student needs to extend their Social Visit Pass upon expiry at the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority of Singapore (ICA).