Bachelor of Nursing (Honours)
Developed, fully taught and awarded by The University of Sydney, Australia and accredited by the Singapore Nursing Board.
The University of Sydney is Australia’s first university, founded in 1850.
- Ranked 2nd in Australia and 15th in the world for University nursing education and research excellence (QS World University Rankings by Subject 2018)
- Ranked 1st in Australia and 4th in the world for Graduate Employability (QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2018)
- A member of the Group of Eight (Australia’s prestigious research-intensive universities)
- Over 20 years of partnership with SIM GE in education of healthcare professionals
By completing this programme, students will:
- Gain comprehensive overview of contemporary research philosophy and methodologies
- Enhance their knowledge of ethical considerations, research design, data collection, data management and analysis
- Develop further their skills for comprehensively searching, reviewing and critiquing research literature; constructing a concise thesis argument; and presenting their findings to peers
- Be familiar with higher degree research studies and research in a clinical setting.
Events & Programme Briefings
SIM Open House 2018 - Parent Info Seminar (Diploma & Degree Pathways)
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 17:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 17:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Sep 22 19:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
SIM Open House 2018 - The University of Sydney, Bachelor of Nursing (Post-Registration) / (Honours)
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 20:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 20:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Sep 22 21:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Career Talk @ SIM Open House
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 22:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 22:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Sep 22 23:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Learning Beyond The Classroom: Overview of Student Life in SIM
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 23:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 23:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sun Sep 23 00:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Scholarship, Bursary & Financial Aid
Come join us on Sun Sep 23 00:00:00 SGT 2018, Sun Sep 23 00:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sun Sep 23 01:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
Learn research to advance nursing career
The Bachelor of Nursing (Honours) programme is a two-year research degree programme, comprising 2 study units and a thesis.
Students will work with research supervisors to develop both the theoretical and practical components of their individual honours project.
Accreditation & Professional Recognition
The Bachelor of Nursing (Honours) programme is accredited by the Singapore Nursing Board.
Graduates may progress to doctoral studies and the option to undertake a research career.
Eligible to apply and gain entry to a PhD. The research training is also a valuable asset for any nurse because of the emphasis on evidence-based nursing. It may be seen as an advantage for gaining promotion.
The programme is fully taught by University of Sydney’s Sydney Nursing School academics.
Mode of Delivery
Blended learning comprising:
- On-campus Research Workshops*
- Individual Research Supervision Meetings
*Students are required to attend a 5 days research theory workshop which is held at University of Sydney's Sydney Nursing School, Australia as part of their candidature. Students will have access to the Sydney eLearning platform as well as the Research Hub, which is a shared online space for all research degree students at Sydney Nursing School.
Year 1 Semester 1
NURS 4020: Theory, Method & Ethics in Research
Year 1 Semester 2
NURS 4021: Honours Thesis A
Year 2 Semester 1
NURS 4022: Honours Thesis B
Year 2 Semester 2
NURS 4023: Honours Thesis C
For module descriptions, click HERE.
The above modules are subject to changes by the university and subject to availability.
To complete within 2 to 3 years of first enrolment.
- Students who did not complete in the maximum period of candidature may apply for extension.
- Students may be granted a suspension of candidature in certain circumstances.
- Students who fail to complete the programme within the candidature period are not entitled to any recourse or refund.
Minimum Class Size
There is no minimum class size because this degree is based on individual research.
- Bachelor of Nursing or equivalent awarded by the University of Sydney with a credit average or above; OR
- Equivalent qualifications from other universities with a minimum of WAM of 65; AND
- Current registration as a registered nurse in Australia or a country other than Australia; AND
- Satisfaction of English language proficiency requirements as detailed in the faculty resolutions.
- Qualifications used must have been completed less than 10 years prior to application.
- Qualifications older than 10 years will be considered subject to the applicant providing further information substantiating appropriate continuing education and development. In these cases, admission will be at the discretion of the Dean.
- Candidates who do not meet the above criteria may be admitted by the Dean on the advice of the Associate Dean (Research).
- Entry will be on a case-by-case basis; however a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.25 or 65% (credit average) will be the benchmark for admission.
- Students are required to provide a brief research proposal when they submit their application.
S$23,540.00 payable for 4 modules, over 4 semesters
- Fees quoted are valid for Jul 2018 and Jan 2019 intakes only.
- Fee per module: S$5,885.00
- Above fees exclude textbooks, repeat fees of failed module, airfare and accommodation expenses. Not all modules may be offered in every semester.
- First term semester payable upon acceptance of offer. Subsequent term semester payable before commencement of the semester.
- All fees inclusive of prevailing GST
Scholarships & Awards
Selected candidates will be awarded up to 50% SIM-University of Sydney scholarship
Average teacher:student ratio 1:2
Students are required to complete 3 assessment components:
- Research seminar presentation (10%)
- Literature review of 5,000- 6,000 words (10%)
- 15,000 word thesis (80%)
This is a research degree and students are allocated a supervisor. The course attendance is a one-week compulsory attendance in Sydney at the Faculty of Nursing and Midwifery for research theory where academics with research expertise will conduct classes.
Award & Graduation
Students who successfully complete all academic requirements of the programme will be awarded the Bachelor of Nursing (Honours) by the University of Sydney, Australia.
A degree conferral ceremony will be held in Singapore.