Bachelor of Science (Honours) in Accounting and Finance
Developed and awarded by University of London (UOL), UK. Lead College, London School of Economics and Political Science (LSE).
LSE is one of the foremost social science universities in the world. Since its foundation in 1895, it has acquired a worldwide reputation for the quality of its research – 50% of its research was rated world-leading and a further 37% internationally excellent in the most recent assessment of research quality in UK universities.
This programme is ideal for those who want to pursue a career in accountancy, consulting, or in the financial services.
Events & Programme Briefings
University of London - Economics, Management, Finance and Social Sciences Programme Briefing
Come join us on Wed Dec 05 02:30:00 SGT 2018, Wed Dec 05 02:30:00 SGT 2018 - Wed Dec 05 03:30:00 SGT 2018, at Blk A, Level 4, Lecture Theater A.4.19, SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
Strong foundation in accountancy, finance
This degree programme lays a strong foundation in accountancy and financial practices. It helps you develop critical skills for a wide range of real life situations in the banking and financial sectors.
Graduates who complete the programme with the following electives: AC2091 Financial reporting, AC3093 Auditing and assurance and AC2097 Management accounting, will be awarded exemptions when they apply for the ACCA exam and CPA Australia exam.
Graduates who wish to continue to professional accreditation may get exemptions for certain modules from the professional bodies below:
- Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA)
- Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA)
- Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales (ICAEW)
- Institute of Singapore Chartered Accountants (ISCA)
- CPA Australia
This arrangement means if you pass the required combination of courses on your degree, you can gain professional accreditation more quickly.
ACCA. Graduates are exempted from most foundation units in the ACCA exams. There are no pre-requisite units required in the BSc degree.
CPA Australia. To qualify for the CPA Program Professional Level, students in the degree are to take a prescribed set of units in addition to the compulsory units set by the University of London. Candidates are to take on unit MN3027 Law of business organisations, AC3059 Financial management, LA1040 Elements of the law of contract and IS2136 Information systems and organisations.
In the 2017 Graduate Employment Survey, it was found that 82.1% of graduates were employed within six months of the final examinations. Among them, 81.2% were working in jobs related to their course of study.
Local faculty, with intensive workshops by UK academics
Lectures, group discussions, workshops and online study
Duration of each lesson is 3 hours.
Mode of Study
Full time classes are held in three-hour blocks between Monday and Saturday, starting at 8.30am, 12pm, or 3.30pm. There are occasional classes on weeknights at 7pm and on Sundays and public holidays. Classes for part-time programmes are held from 7pm to 10pm on weeknights or on Saturdays, with occasional classes on Sundays and public holidays. Local students may transfer between the part-time and full-time programme after a year, at the annual course enrolment exercise for continuing students.
- Annual intensive revision from mid-March to end-April (lessons may be held in the evenings / weekends / public holidays).
- Classes on study skills, academic writing and the Peer-Assisted Learning sessions.
- Virtual Learning Environment
- SIMConnect portal
- University materials such as subject guides, past exam papers and exam commentaries, reading lists and handbooks on good study strategies
Year 1 classes / Aug 2019 – Feb 2020 (local students)
Year 1 classes / Sep 2019 – Feb 2020 (international students)
Year 1 classes / Sep 2019 – Feb 2020 (with exemptions)
Year 2/3 classes / Sep 2019 – Feb 2020
SIM Preliminary Exams / Feb 2020
Revision / Mar – Apr 2020
University Exams / May 2020
Results released / Mid-Aug 2020
Minimum / Maximum period:
Standard BSc (Hons) (12 units) 3 years / 6 years
Graduate BSc (Hons) (9 units) 2 years / 6 years
*The candidature period may be extended by the University on a case-by-case basis.
No refund or recourse should student fail to complete within maximum period.
At SIM, students who are academically weak and find it difficult to progress or complete the programme within the minimum duration will receive counselling.
SIM reserves the right to recommend and withdraw a student who cannot cope with the demands of the programme, especially when the student’s pass has expired.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 25 students. Students will be informed within 30 days after the application period.
Standard Entry Route:
Minimum duration of this programme is 3 years. The programme has 12 full units:
1. # EC1002 Introduction to economics
2. ST104A Statistics 1 (half unit) and MT105A Mathematics 1 (half unit)
3. FN1024 Principles of banking and finance
4. AC1025 Principles of accounting
200 and 300 units
5. MN2028 Managerial economics (EC1002) + (MT105A or MT1174) or EC2066 Microeconomics (EC1002) + (MT105A or MT1174)
6. AC2091 Financial reporting (AC1025)
7. AC2097 Management accounting (AC1025)
8. AC3059 Financial management (AC1025) or FN2190 Asset pricing and financial markets (EC1002) + (MT105A or MT105B or MT1174)
9. AC3093 Auditing and assurance (AC1025)
10. AC3193 Accounting theory (AC2091 + AC2097)
11. One 200 or 300 unit (or two half units) chosen from any of the Selection group
12. *One 100, 200 or 300 unit (or two half units) chosen from any of the Selection group
Graduate Entry Route:
Minimum duration of this 9 full-unit programme, which is offered on both part-time and full-time basis, is two years.
1. # EC1002 Introduction to economics
2. ST104A Statistics 1 (half-unit) and MT105A Mathematics 1 (half-unit)
3. AC1025 Principles of accounting
200 and 300 units
4. MN2028 Managerial economics (EC1002) + (MT105A or MT1174) or EC2066 Microeconomics (EC1002) + (MT105A or MT1174)
5. AC3059 Financial management (AC1025) or FN2190 Asset pricing and financial markets (EC1002) + (MT105A or MT105B or MT1174)
6. AC2091 Financial reporting (AC1025)
7. AC3093 Auditing and assurance (AC1025)
8. AC2097 Management accounting (AC1025)
9. AC3193 Accounting theory (AC2091 + AC2097)
* APL awarded from one named or unnamed 100 unit can be placed here.
# EC1002 Introduction to Economics must be taken after or at the same time as MT105A Mathematics 1 and ST104A Statistics 1.
Changes in the degree structure and pre-requisites are expected as accounting theory will be introduced in 2018.
General Entrance Requirements (GER) are:
- Applicant must be 17 years or older by 30 November in the year of registration with UOL
- Satisfy course requirements in English and Mathematics
- Two approved* GCE ‘A’ /H2 level subjects and three approved* GCE ‘O’ level subjects, OR
- Three approved* GCE ‘A’ /H2 level subjects and one approved* GCE ‘O’ level subject, OR
- Three H2 passes provided that at least grades D, E, E are obtained, OR
- Two H2 and two H1 passes provided they are in non-overlapping subjects
*Approved subjects are ‘A’ level papers taken after 1986 and all ‘O’ level subjects taken after 1975 in Singapore.
The following qualifications may meet GER for admission into Year 1:
- Diploma in Accounting, Banking and Finance, International Business and Management Studies awarded by SIM
- Diplomas awarded by Nanyang Polytechnic, Ngee Ann Polytechnic, Republic Polytechnic, Singapore Polytechnic or Temasek Polytechnic
- Teaching certificate from NIE/NTU
- Diploma in Employment Relations from Ong Teng Cheong Labour Leadership Institute (OTCi) and SIM University (UNISIM).
- Diploma from PSB Academy with average of 60% or better, done 9 months full time or 12 months part time and with at least 4 O level passes.
- NUS High School Diploma.
- University of London International Foundation Certificate
- University of London Diploma in Economics / Certificate of Higher Education in Social Sciences
- Northern Consortium UK International Foundation Year (China syllabus) (in and after June 2004), provided at least 200 IFY points have been obtained and that the module English for Academic Purposes is passed at grade C or above.
- International Baccalaureate (the Diploma). Must have completed Mathematics/ Mathematical Studies at Higher Level grade 3 or better or Standard Level grade 4 or better. English at grade 4 or better meets the English requirement.
- Two passes for the Malaysia Higher School Certificate/ Sijil Tinggi Persekolahan Malaysia (except Kertas Am) Grades A-C from 2003 in the new marking scheme (A-E in the old marking scheme before 2003) + 3 SPM at grade C or better including Mathematics.
- Unified Examination Certificate (UEC) offered in Malaysia provided that 5 acceptable subjects are passed at credit (or Grade B) or better, together with 3 non-overlapping subjects awarded with grades 1 to 6 (Grade A - C) in the SPM OR 8 acceptable UEC subjects passed at Credit (or Grade B) or better.
- Malaysian Certificate of Education/SPM English Language Communicational (122 or 322) grade 6 (C) or better meets the English requirement
- The GER includes a pass (Grade C6 and above) in Mathematics at the GCE 'O' level and proof of competence in the English Language.
The list is not exhaustive and is subject to annual revision.
Refer to the University of London prospectus for full information.
Click here for information on overseas qualifications.
Estimated Overall Fees
Standard Entry BSc (12 units for 3 years)
Year 1 : $10,500.00
Year 2 : $9,300.00
Year 3 : $9,300.00
Total course fee : $29,100.00
Graduate Entry BSc (9 units for 2 years)
Year 1 : $10,500.00
Year 2 : $11,500.00
Total course fee : $22,000.00
Graduate Entry BSc (9 units for 3 years)
Year 1 : $8,300.00
Year 2 : $7,000.00
Year 3 : $7,000.00
Total course fee : $22,300.00
Standard Entry BSc with exemption from 4 full units (8 units for 2 years)
Year 2 : $10,400.00
Year 3 : $9,300.00
Total course fee: $19,700.00
The Estimated Overall Fee is made up of :
1. Programme Fees for BSc (Honours)
2. UOL Application Fee
3. UOL Initial Registration Fee (Year 1)
4. UOL Continuing Registration Fee (Year 2 and 3)
5. UOL examination fee (payable to UOL and RELC Examinations Bureau)
Breakdown of Estimated Overall Fees
Payable to SIM
Programme Fees for BSc (Honours)
12 full units : $18,041.00
9 full units : $13,531.00
8 full units : $12,027.00
Payable to University of London (UOL)
UOL Application Fee (One Time Payment) : £92.00
UOL Initial Registration Fee (Year 1) : £935.00
UOL Continuing Registration Fee (Year 2 and 3) : £427.00
UOL Examination Fee
BSc, 12 full units : $7,730.00
BSc, 9 full units : $5,750.00
BSc, 8 full units: $5,100.00
Additional UOL and SIM fees apply for those who repeat/resit the coursework/exam and also for those who extend their registration with the University.
Note: This estimated University of London examination fee, payable in S$ to the RELC Examinations Bureau, includes an admin fee (per paper) to RELC. All UOL fees are subjected to yearly revision.
Click here to refer to the Miscellaneous fees.
The fees above are only valid for 2018/2019 intake.
Scholarships and Awards
Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL)
APL is the recognition of previously acquired learning which can be mapped against particular learning outcomes of units within a programme. APL may be awarded if you have previously studied a similar subject in the same depth, at degree level, and you achieved good marks in the corresponding examination. A student who is awarded APL for a specific unit is considered to be exempted from this unit.
The qualification on which your APL is based must have been obtained within the five years preceding the application. Qualifications that do not qualify for automatic exemption will require an exemption application fee of £93 per full unit or £47 per half unit. For the bridging courses listed below which meet the UOL automatic exemption requirement, no exemption application fee is needed.
The Bridging Courses at SIM have been designed to complement the APL received by Diploma graduates. Diploma graduates who take on the bridging courses will benefit from additional APL appropriate for their specific degree.
Candidates must have completed all coursework and assessment for their Diploma course before they embark on the bridging programme. There will be only one intake/year, which is held in May/June.
1) SIM Bridging Course in Economics
The course provides the fundamentals of economic analysis through the use of economics’ models and applications. It uses a more analytical, in-depth and rigorous approach than is done at diploma level. The lecturer will assume that students have studied both macroeconomics and microeconomics in their diploma prior to this 16-session programme.
2) SIM Bridging Course in Mathematics
This 12-session programme is targeted at business diploma holders from SIM and the polytechnics who wish to demonstrate competence in mathematics so that they may be exempted from MT105A Mathematics 1 (half unit) in the University of London degree programme. These candidates usually have an existing APL for ST104A Statistics 1 (half unit) based on their diploma.
• Fees for each bridging course will be S$642 (Fees are inclusive of prevailing GST. Fees do not include textbooks and application charges.)
3) Bridging Course for Economics, Management, Finance and the Social Sciences (EMFSS)
This new bridging course has been introduced for 2018. It is targeted at non-business polytechnic diploma holders who achieve a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better, and who intend to study for a UOL degree at an accelerated rate. These candidates do not qualify for the SIM Bridging Course in Economics or SIM Bridging Course in Mathematics which is meant for business diploma graduates.
Bridging EMFSS modules and their corresponding APL:
Note: Students are required to enroll for all the modules (maximum of two full units). This course is run full-time only.
Sample timetable for 3) Bridging Course for Economics, Management, Finance and Social Sciences (EMFSS)
For more information, click here.
• Fees for the Bridging course for EMFSS will be S$3,852 for two full units (Fees are inclusive of prevailing GST. Fees do not include textbooks and application charges.)
Average teacher-student ratio for full-time – 1:94
Assessment & Exams
Completion of class tests, assignments and preliminary exams is highly encouraged in preparation for the University’s annual exams.
Exams accounts for 100% grading, except for some units where coursework is assessed by the University.
Successful completion of 12 units is required to qualify for the degree. The 200 and 300 units normally carry more weight than the 100 units.
70-100 : First Class Honours
60-69 : Upper Second Class Honours
50-59 : Lower Second Class Honours
40-49 : Third Class Honours
0-39 : Fail
Candidates are expected to take on 4 full units per academic year and 3 years to graduate.
- A Pass or exemption from at least two Level 100 units before they attempt Level 200/300 units.
- A pass in a unit shall not be eligible for a re-sit.
- Failure in a unit shall be eligible to be repeated / re-sit in the exam up to a maximum of 3 attempts for each paper.
Student's Pass holders: 90%
The award of the BSc (Hons) degree requires successful completion of all 12 units.
Graduates may opt to participate in the presentation ceremony on SIM campus in April or the University of London (UK) in March.
Graduates of the UOL International Programmes may progress to postgraduate studies either locally or overseas.