Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Retail Marketing (Top-up)
Developed and awarded by University of Stirling, UK.
University of Stirling is ranked 7th in the UK for graduate employability with 97% of graduates in employment, or further study, within 6 months of graduating. (Telegraph/HESA, 2016).
It has 5-star ranking for teaching, employability, internationalisation, facilities and inclusiveness in the QS World University Rankings (2016). Stirling is ranked as one of the top 150 most international universities in the world by Times Higher Education World University Rankings (2016).
Graduates can look forward to a wide range of positions in store management, merchandising, store display, retail supply chain and even in industry-level and public-sector domains relating to retail trade.
Knowledge, skillset to manage retail business
The degree programme is offered on SIM campus, by the University of Stirling, UK. It is taught by faculty from the University’s Institute for Retail Studies (IRS). Tutorials by local tutors.
IRS is one of UK’s Centre of Excellence for retail education and training, and its faculty have the experience and knowledge to provide students with the insights and practical and critical problem-solving skills of retail practice.
Students have an option to study a semester at Stirling’s campus, UK.
Vice-Chancellor Professor Gerry McCormac says students from Singapore who have studied at Stirling found the experience rewarding and culturally enriching.
Graduates can apply for Stirling’s taught postgraduate programmes including, Master of Science Marketing with Retail.
Graduates look forward to job positions in retail and related businesses, including:
- Store management
- Retail supply chain
- Industry-level & public-sector positions relating to retail trade
Lectures – Teaching faculty from University of Stirling
Tutorials – Local tutors
Mode of Delivery
Two semesters a year. Classes conducted in the days and/or evenings with a structured curriculum of nine modules and a Dissertation.
Mode of Study
Teaching centres on lectures and tutorials, with case study analysis. Theory in lectures is complemented with site visits and presented by guest speakers from industry.
Lectures may be scheduled from 12pm to 6.30pm or 3.30 – 10pm on given days over two weeks per module, with breaks in between sessions. Part-time students who are unable to attend the full lectures will have access to the e-learning platform. The lecture schedule is subject to availability.
Tutorials for the same module will be conducted by local tutors over three weeks, scheduled between Monday and Friday at three hours per session, from 7pm to 10pm.
Modules offered at SIM:
- Branding and Communications (20 credits)
- Buying and Visual Merchandising (20 credits)
- Digital Marketing (20 credits)
- Multi-Channel Retail Marketing (20 credits)
- Professional Development and Practice (20 credits)
- Retail Operations (20 credits)
- Strategic Management (20 credits)
- Understanding Consumers (20 credits)
- Understanding Supply Chains (20 credits)
Dissertation (60 credits)
A supervisor will be assigned to guide with the dissertation which focuses on a particular retail topic.
Exchange Semester at Stirling
Students can choose to attend 1 semester (3rd semester) at the University of Stirling home campus in the UK. Students are expected to complete modules equivalent of 60 credits in the UK. The experience enhances the global outlook and mind-set of students, and prepares them to work better in a global economy.
The programme fee is exclusive of air fares and accommodation for the exchange semester at Stirling.
Duration of programme: Two years
Candidature: Four years
Students who did not complete the programme by the candidature period will not be entitled to any recourse or refund.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum to commence: 50 students
If take-up rate does not meet the minimum to commence, students will be informed within one month before class starts.
All admissions (direct & non-direct entries) are based on merit and are subject to the final approval of the University.
Applicants with the following diplomas may be eligible for advanced standing to the programme, including:
SIM Diploma in
- International Business
- Management Studies
- Diploma in Fashion Merchandising and Marketing
Nanyang Academy of Fine Arts
- Diploma in Fashion Merchandising and Marketing
- Diploma in Marketing
- Diploma in Business Management with Retail Management
- Diploma in Business Management with Supply Chain Management
- Diploma in Business Management with CRM
Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- Diploma in Business Studies (Marketing)
- Diploma in Business Studies (Service Management)
- Diploma in Business Studies (Marketing Communications)
- Diploma in Mass Communications
- Diploma in Business Administration with Marketing Management Option
- Diploma in Business (Marketing Elective)
- Diploma in Marketing
- Diploma in Retail Management
- Diploma in Apparel Design & Merchandising
- Diploma in Retail Management; and
- 5 GCE ‘O’ level passes or equivalent (including English Language); and
- Working experience at a senior managerial position in the retail industry; and
- Evidence of other academic and/or work based learning.
Note: All admissions (direct & non-direct entries) are based on merit and are subject to the final approval of the University. Other qualifications deemed relevant may be considered.
Applicants with a non-Marketing and/or non-Business related diploma may be admitted into the programme subject to the approval of the University. Applicants may be required to pass a 3-month Preparatory Course in Retail Marketing.
English Proficiency Requirement
Students must have acceptable level of competency in English Language and meet one of the following in addition to an approved diploma:
- Minimum C6 pass in English as First Language at GCE ‘O’ Level; or
- TOEFL 567 (paper-based) or 87 (iBT) with Reading 22, Writing 21, Listening 21, Speaking 23; or
- IELTS 6.0 overall (no band less than 5.5); or
- Successful completion of a recognized approved Diploma, where the language of instruction was English
Preparatory Course in Retail Marketing comprises:
- Introduction to Marketing
- Retail Studies
Preparatory Course in Retail Marketing: S$642.00 per module
Programme fee: S$38,520.00
Per 20-credit module fee: S$3,210.00
Per 60-credit module fee: S$9,630.00
All fees inclusive of prevailing GST and exclude textbooks.
Valid for 2017 intake and fees are payable prior to commencement of the course.
Scholarships & Awards
IE Singapore: SkillsFuture Study Award for Retail Sector (Singapore citizens only)
This programme is a supported course under the SkillsFuture Study Award for Retail Sector. Applicable to Singapore citizens only.
Average teacher-student ratio 1:50
Assessments & Teaching Methods
Assessment is based on combination of coursework and exams.
End-of-semester main exam is normally in December and May. The assessment schedule is subject to change by the University.
Local students – 75%
Students are allowed to progress through each semester till they satisfactorily complete the graduation requirements.
Award & Graduation
To successfully complete nine modules and a Retail Marketing Dissertation to obtain a Bachelor of Arts (Honours) in Retail Marketing Degree.