Master of Science Investments
Developed, fully taught and awarded by Birmingham Business School, University of Birmingham, UK
The University, founded in 1900, is one of the largest in the UK. It is a major centre of research and academic study, with 11 Nobel Prize winners among staff and alumni.
The University is ranked 84th in the world (QS World University Rankings 2018), and it is a gold-rated university for excellence in teaching and learning in the UK (Teaching Excellence Framework 2017).
The one-year programme is offered through Birmingham Business School, and it is suitable for fresh graduates who wish to pursue employment with an investment institution, or as an investment specialist or manager.
Birmingham Business School holds triple-crown accreditation from the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), the Association of MBAs (AMBA) and the European Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) in recognition of its quality and rigorous standards in business and management education.
- Appreciate and critically analyse current global macro factors affecting today’s financial markets
- Demonstrate comprehensive knowledge and understanding of the theoretical and empirical literatures on investments and risk management in domestic and international contexts
- Acquire a range of tools and techniques to manage portfolios, financial securities, risk and the valuation of corporate finance, equity research, fund management, strategy consulting, etc
- Apply theoretical knowledge, practical skills, tools and techniques in a written dissertation
- Develop specific transferable skills in financial modelling, research design, financial analysis, investment decision making, trading and teamwork
CFA Institute University of Recognition Programme
The programme has been acknowledged as incorporating at least 70% of the CFA Program Candidate Body of Knowledge (CBOK) and placing emphasis on the CFA Institute Code of Ethics and Standards of Practice within the programme.
It positions students well to obtain the Chartered Financial Analyst® designation, which has become one of the most respected and recognised investment credentials globally.
To find out more, click here
Events & Programme Briefings
University of Birmingham - Master of Science Investments Webinar
Come join us on Fri Jul 28 00:00:00 SGT 2017, Fri Jul 28 00:00:00 SGT 2017 - Fri Jul 28 01:00:00 SGT 2017, at ...
University of Birmingham - Master of Science Investments Programme Consultation
Come join us on Wed Aug 02 01:30:00 SGT 2017, Wed Aug 02 01:30:00 SGT 2017 - Wed Aug 02 03:00:00 SGT 2017, at Student Recruitment Centre, Blk A, Level 2, Meeting Room, SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
University of Birmingham - Master of Science Investments Programme Consultation
Come join us on Sat Aug 05 19:00:00 SGT 2017, Sat Aug 05 19:00:00 SGT 2017 - Sat Aug 05 20:30:00 SGT 2017, at Student Recruitment Centre, Blk A, Level 2, Meeting Room, SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
Open House Programme Briefing - University of Birmingham, Master of Science Investments
Come join us on Sat Sep 30 23:00:00 SGT 2017, Sat Sep 30 23:00:00 SGT 2017 - Sun Oct 01 00:00:00 SGT 2017, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
Bull or bear. Outwit the markets with your Global Edge.
Trading and investing offers an exciting career path, but also demands a high level of theoretical knowledge and technical skill. The programme will equip you with the skills and knowledge that you need to function as an investment specialist in domestic and international markets.
University academic experts teach theory and technique, whilst their application is taught by professional traders with years of experience in the industry and first-hand knowledge of current market regulations, trading techniques, customs and practices. You will also have access to simulated dealing room, where a range of trading techniques can be practised.
Centre of Excellence
The Department of Finance at Birmingham Business School is recognised as a Centre of Excellence in the provision of finance teaching by the Chartered Institute for Securities & Investment (CISI).
Reasons to study Birmingham’s postgraduate degrees at SIM
- Degrees are of the same standings and standards as those awarded in the UK
- Long tradition and established track record of teaching business and management
- Established international reputation of University and the Business School
- Research led – cutting-edge research feeds directly into teaching
- International syllabus with a focus on the issues of globalisation
- Dedicated staff who provide continuous support for your studies
This programme offers you a springboard into employment with an investment institution, or as an investment specialist or manager.
Graduates from the UK programme have gone on to work in a wide range of industries such as automotive, consumer goods, professional services in audit, advisory, consulting and tax, retail, and a whole host of smaller companies and public sector organisations.
Opportunity for Postgraduate Study
Graduates may further their studies in PhD and doctoral programmes from universities around the world.
Birmingham academics and industry specialists
Mode of Delivery
The programme covers 10 taught modules (120 credits) and a written dissertation (60 credits).
Taught modules are delivered one at a time through lectures. A 10-credit module is equivalent to one week of lectures, and a 20-credit module is equivalent to two weeks of lectures.
Lessons are conducted intensively on weekdays and weekends of 3 to 8 hours per day on SIM’s campus.
Practise a range of trading techniques through simulated dealing room at SIM’s Financial Training Centre.
There will be workshops, consultation sessions and assigned supervisors to guide students on dissertation.
- Financial Modelling and Forecasting Techniques (20 credits)
- Foreign Exchange and International Money Markets (20 credits)
- Financial Statement Analysis for Investors (10 credits)
- Fund Management (10 credits)
- Investment Mathematics, Concepts and Markets (10 credits)
- Portfolio Theory and Investment Analysis (10 credits)
- Private Equity and Venture Finance (10 credits)
- Risk Management (10 credits)
- Security Analysis and Valuation (10 credits)
- Trading Techniques (10 credits)
- Dissertation (60 credits)
The choice of modules is subject to change and will follow changes according to the programme in the UK.
Duration & Candidature Period
The programme is designed to be completed in a year.
There will not be any refund or recourse should students fail to complete the programme within the candidature period.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 25 students
If the class fails to commence due to low take-up rate, students will be informed within one month before programme commencement.
- Bachelor’s degree (Upper 2nd Class Honours degree or equivalent); and
- applicants must have obtained good grades (Upper 2nd Class Honours grade or equivalent) in mathematical related modules at undergraduate level.
- All other qualifications will be assessed on individual merits.
English Language Proficiency
- A minimum C6 pass in English as First Language at GCE ‘O’ level; or
- IELTS 6.5 (with at least 6.0 in each band); or
- TOEFL iBT: 88 (with no less than 20 in Listening, 21 in Reading, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); or
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): a minimum of 59 in all four skills.
These are to be submitted with your application:
- Two satisfactory references of which one must be academic-related; and
- a letter of academic interest and objective in undertaking postgraduate study.
All admissions are based on merit and are subject to the final approval of the Programme Director. Applicants may be interviewed prior to acceptance into the programme.
Total: S$29,660.40, payable in three payments of S$9,886.80 each
All fees inclusive of prevailing GST and are payable before term commencement (exclude textbooks). Fees are valid for 2017 intake and assume that the student completes the programme in one year.
Average teacher-student ratio 1:25
Pass each term’s assessments and/or exams before progressing to the next term.
Assessments & Exams
Taught modules are assessed either by written exams, coursework*, or a combination of both. They are normally scheduled one to two weeks after a module’s completion and before the next module commences. Exams will be held on weekday evenings or Saturdays on SIM’s campus.
Re-assessment will be advised by the University for students who did not fulfil the passing requirement of any taught modules.
*Coursework can take a variety of forms including in-course tests, essays, practical assignments, presentations and reports etc. Some coursework may be group based.
Students will need to complete a 10,000 – 12,000 word dissertation for submission. The submission period is normally in end-August.
Note: The assessment schedule is subject to change by the University.
Award of Degree
Obtain a total of 180 credits to attain the Master of Science Investments degree awarded by University of Birmingham.
A degree congregation presided by University of Birmingham is annually held in November on SIM’s campus. Alternatively, graduates can choose to attend the ceremony in July or December in the UK.