Master of Science Management
Developed, fully taught and awarded by Birmingham Business School, University of Birmingham, UK
- Gain an overview of the current debates, issues, controversies and emerging phenomena in the practice of business and management
- Understand advanced management concepts through a combination of core foundation subjects and elective modules
- Apply theoretical knowledge and practical skills in a written dissertation
- Develop specific transferable skills in research and analysis, critical thinking, problem solving, teamwork, management and leadership, as well as interpersonal skills
- Have choice and flexibility in tailoring the programme to match your interest and needs
The one-year programme is offered through Birmingham Business School, and it is suitable for those who have a Bachelor’s degree in business, management or economics, and who wish to build on their existing skills and knowledge to develop them to Master’s level.
Quick Fact: Graduate Employability
The University of Birmingham is the second most frequently targeted university among UK’s top employers for graduate recruits (The Graduate Market in 2018, High Fliers Research).
To discover more about the University of Birmingham and Birmingham Business School, click here.
Mr Nick Potter from Birmingham shares more about the
MSc Management programmes
Events & Programme Briefings
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 02:30:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 02:30:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Sep 22 05:00:00 SGT 2018, at Blk A, Level 4, SR A.4.01A/B, SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Parent Info Seminar (Diploma & Degree Pathways)
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 17:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 17:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Sep 22 19:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
SIM Open House 2018 - University of Birmingham, Master of Science International Business / Management
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 20:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 20:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Sep 22 21:30:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Career Talk @ SIM Open House
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 22:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 22:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Sep 22 23:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Learning Beyond The Classroom: Overview of Student Life in SIM
Come join us on Sat Sep 22 23:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Sep 22 23:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sun Sep 23 00:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Scholarship, Bursary & Financial Aid
Come join us on Sun Sep 23 00:00:00 SGT 2018, Sun Sep 23 00:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sun Sep 23 01:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
Every organisation demands high-level management in order to run smoothly and efficiently. From strategy and policy to development and innovation, strong managers lead successful businesses, driving them forward and raising their profile, profits and reputation. This programme allows a mixed pathway where students can study elective modules from any of the areas in Entrepreneurship and Innovation, Organisational Leadership and Change and Strategy.
Reasons to study Birmingham’s postgraduate degrees at SIM
- Degrees are of the same standings and standards as those awarded in the UK
- Long tradition and established track record of teaching business and management
- Established international reputation of the University and the Business School
- Research led – cutting-edge research feeds directly into teaching
- International syllabus with a focus on the issues of globalisation
- Dedicated staff who provide continuous support for your studies
- Join the alumni community of more than 300,000 graduates. From television and sport to research and government, the University has outstanding alumni across all sectors.
Career Preparation & Prospects
During course of study, an annual career workshop will be conducted to prepare students in their job search.
This programme supports a variety of careers, including consulting, public policy and research, management positions in the public sector, the private sector, small and medium enterprises, and large multinational corporations.
Opportunity for Further Study
Graduates may further their studies in PhD and doctoral programmes from universities around the world upon completion of this programme.
Mode of Delivery
The programme covers 12 taught modules (120 credits) and a written dissertation (60 credits).
Taught modules are delivered on a block teaching basis by Birmingham academics who teach the same module on the University’s home campus to ensure equivalent academic inputs to the Singapore programme.
A 10-credit module is equivalent to one week of lectures. One to two modules are expected to be delivered monthly. The modules are conducted intensively on weekdays, typically 6 hours per day on SIM’s campus. Saturday classes may occasionally be scheduled if required.
There will be workshops, consultation sessions and assigned supervisors to guide students on dissertation.
- Contemporary Issues in Management (10 credits)
- Environment of Business (10 credits)
- Operations Management (10 credits)
- Organisational Behaviour (10 credits)
- Research Methods (10 credits)
- Strategic Management (10 credits)
- Dissertation (60 credits)
Electives (choose 6)
- Advanced Strategy (10 credits)
- Entrepreneurship: Advanced Topics (10 credits)
- Entrepreneurship: Business Start‐Up (10 credits)
- Innovation Management (10 credits)
- International Business Strategy (10 credits)
- Leading and Managing Change and Crisis (10 credits)
- Organisational Reliability and Resilience (10 credits)
- Strategic Leadership (10 credits)
- Value Chains, Outsourcing and Procurement (10 credits)
A 10-credit module is equivalent to 30 contact hours.
The modules listed here and on the University’s website may occasionally be subject to change. For example, as you will appreciate, key members of staff may leave the University and this might necessitate a review of the modules that are offered. Where a module is no longer available, we will let you know as soon as we can and help you make other choices.
Duration & Candidature Period
The programme is designed to be completed in a year.
There will not be any refund or recourse should students fail to complete the programme within the candidature period.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 25 students
If the class fails to commence due to low take-up rate, students will be informed within one month before programme commencement with the refund of application fee.
Academic Qualification Requirement
- Bachelor’s degree in business, management or economics (Upper 2nd Class Honours degree or equivalent).
- All other qualifications will be assessed on individual merits.
- A minimum C6 pass in English as First Language at GCE ‘O’ level; or
- IELTS 6.5 (with at least 6.0 in each band); or
- TOEFL iBT: 88 (with no less than 20 in Listening, 21 in Reading, 22 in Speaking and 21 in Writing); or
- Pearson Test of English (Academic): a minimum of 59 in all four skills.
These are to be submitted with your application:
- Two satisfactory references of which one must be academic-related; and
- a letter of academic interest and objective in undertaking postgraduate study.
All admissions are based on merit and are subject to the final approval of the Programme Director. Applicants may be interviewed prior to acceptance into the programme.
Students, MSc Management Programmes, Singapore (2017 Intake)
Total: S$26,964.00, payable in instalments
Per 10 credits fee: S$2,247.00
Each instalment is payable based on the number of taught module credits undertaken in a term.
Note: Taught modules are denoted in 10 credits each
All fees inclusive of prevailing GST and are payable before term commencement (exclude textbooks). Fees are valid for 2018 intake and assume that students complete the programme in one year.
Scholarships & Awards
Average teacher-student ratio 1:25
Typically, students will need to complete each module's assessments and/or exams before progressing to the next module.
Assessments & Exams
Taught modules are assessed either by written exams, coursework*, or a combination of both. They are normally scheduled one to two weeks after a module’s completion. Exams will be held on SIM's campus.
Re-assessment will be advised by the University for students who did not fulfil the passing requirement of any taught modules.
*Coursework can take a variety of forms including essays, practical assignments, presentations and reports etc. Some coursework may be group based.
Students will need to complete a 10,000 – 12,000 word dissertation for submission. The submission period is normally in August/September.
Note: The assessment schedule is subject to change by the University.
Award of Degree
Obtain a total of 180 credits to attain the Master of Science Management awarded by the University of Birmingham.
A degree congregation presided by University of Birmingham is annually held in November on SIM’s campus. Alternatively, graduates can choose to attend the ceremony in July in the UK.