Master in Design for Smart Cities
Developed and awarded by Strate School of Design, France.
The Master in Design for Smart Cities is a 2-year, full-time programme.
The multidisciplinary approach of combining design, humanities, technology and management, is taught through the model of Design Thinking and Design Doing, where students craft innovative mindsets based on design methodology and extensive hands-on practice.
With this framework, students create sustainable and solution-focused services and products that address human issues in urban environments such as transportation, and transform everyday lives for the better.
- Strong multi-disciplinary approach mixing technologies, human sciences, marketing, culture, 3D modelling, design methodology
- Solve problems and address any human issue in a creative and efficient way to enable better lives in a smarter city
- Be creative professionals trained in developing innovative and disruptive solutions
- Strong connection with the industry through coaching by professional designers and industry-sponsored projects
Events & Programme Briefings
Open House Programme Briefing - Strate School of Design, France - Master in Design for Smart Cities
Come join us on Sat Sep 30 21:00:00 SGT 2017, Sat Sep 30 21:00:00 SGT 2017 - Sat Sep 30 22:00:00 SGT 2017, at SIM HQ, Clementi Road ...
Strate School of Design, France - Master in Design for Smart Cities (Coffee-Chat with Programme Director)
Come join us on Thu Oct 05 03:00:00 SGT 2017, Thu Oct 05 03:00:00 SGT 2017 - Thu Oct 05 04:00:00 SGT 2017, at Seminar Room A.3.09A, Blk A, Level 3, SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
Strate School of Design, France - Master in Design for Smart Cities In Conversation with Pablo Viejo
Come join us on Sat Oct 28 19:00:00 SGT 2017, Sat Oct 28 19:00:00 SGT 2017 - Sat Oct 28 20:30:00 SGT 2017, at Seminar Room A.4.06, Blk A, Level 4, SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
Reasons to study Strate School of Design degree at SIM
- Strong recognition and connection to the industry through active design professionals, industry sponsored projects and mandatory internship.
- Access to the strong Strate alumni network of more than 1,400 members comprising professionals and large companies.
- Head of Design
- Head of Innovation
- Project Leader
- Experience Designer
- Service Designer
- Interaction Designer
- Intelligent Object Designer
- Immersive Designer (Augmented/Virtual Reality)
- IoT Projects Manager
- Urban Innovation Lead
Modules in this programme will be taught and delivered by both Strate and SIM.
- Design modules will be taught and delivered by the Strate School of Design, mostly by active industry professionals for the purpose of imparting up to date knowledge, methodologies and practices.
- Management and humanities modules will be taught and delivered by either Strate or SIM.
Mode of Delivery
In a design school, most of the pedagogy is project driven. Program modules are designed in the following modalities:
- Project: students are grouped in teams of 3 to 4, and are coached by a professional designer. Assessment is continuous and ends with an oral defence.
- Session: students work on technical issues (software, representation techniques), do case-studies during the class. Assessment is continuous.
- Lecture: experts deliver knowledge and explain theories. No assessment.
- Face to Face (contact hours): students are working directly with a tutor or a mentor. Assessment is continuous.
24 months (full-time) including 3 - 6 months of internship.
1st Semester (5 months)
Design Projects & Methodology (9 credits)
- Design Workshop
- Methodology Project
- Long Design Project (Design Projects & Methodology)
- Internet of Things Project
Design Culture 1 (6 credits)
- Design Culture
- Interaction Design Culture
- Service Design Culture
- Experience Design Culture
- Big Data And Data Visualization
General Culture 1 (6 credits)
- Introduction to Complexity
- Introduction to Sociology
- Technological Culture (IT, AI, Robotics, Media)
- Urban Planning
- Transportation And Mobility
- Marketing (General Culture 1)
Representation & Visualization 1 (9 credits)
- Video and Story Boarding
- 3D (Modelizing/Simulating)
- Wireframe Design
- Graphic Facilitation
2nd Semester (5 months)
Industry Sponsored Projects (7 credits)
- Industry Sponsored Design Workshop
- Short Industry Sponsored Design Project
- Long Design Project (Industry Sponsored Projects)
Design Culture 2 (3 credits)
- Design And Philosophy
- Participation And Co-design
- Design And Environment
General Culture 2 (6 credits)
- Marketing (General Culture 2)
- Professionalization 1
- Communication 1
- New Industry Technologies (3D Printing…)
Representation & Visualization 2 (9 credits)
- 3D (Virtual reality/Augmented reality/Immersion)
- Video (Special Effects)
- Apps And Services (HTML5/Css)
- Programming And Coding
Thesis 1 (5 credits)
- Initial Question Building
- Research And Bibliography
- Writing Methodology
3rd Semester (3 months)
Thesis 2 (15 credits)
- Publishing And Editing
Inter-disciplinary Industry Sponsored Project (3 credits)
- Inter-disciplinary Industry Sponsored Project
Humanities (2 credits)
- Cognitive Sciences
4th Semester (5 months)
Professionalization (2 credits)
Preparation of Oral Defence (2 credits)
- Preparation of Oral Defence
Degree Project Follow-Up (26 credits)
- Degree Project Follow-Up
5th Semester (3 - 6 months)
Internship (10 credits)
Bachelor’s degree (Upper 2nd Class Honours degree or equivalent) in Design or Engineering or in Science; or
Candidates with other qualifications will be assessed based on individual merits:
- Bachelor graduates in non-Design or Science fields (e.g. Management or Arts) can apply;
- One academic satisfactory reference
- One academic satisfactory reference
- Local Polytechnic diploma or advanced diploma holders with a minimum of 5 years of post-qualification relevant industrial experience can apply;
- Three satisfactory references, of which one academic reference
Motivation and eligibility of applicants are measured through an interview with the Programme Director, where they will have to elaborate and illustrate their interest in joining the programme and how they connect to the disciplines related to Design and Smart Cities.
English Proficiency Requirements
- TOEFL iBT – 88 overall;
- IELTS 6.0 overall;
- Pearson Test in English with a minimum score of 59 in all four skills; or
- 'O' level equivalent
All admissions will be based on merit and is subject to the final approval of the Programme Director.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 20 students
If the class fails to commence due to low take-up rate, applicants will be informed within one month before programme commencement.
Programme fee: S$42,800.00 inclusive of GST, payable in five payments:
Payment 1: S$10,700.00 (Module 1 - 4)
Payment 2: S$13,375.00 (Module 5 - 9)
Payment 3: S$8,025.00 (Module 10 - 12)
Payment 4: S$8,025.00 (Module 13 - 15)
Payment 5: S$2,675.00 (Module 16 - Internship)
All fees inclusive of prevailing GST and exclude textbooks, course materials and consumables.
Scholarships & Awards
Average teacher-student ratio – 1:20
- Project: Assessment is continuous and ends with an oral defence.
- Session: Assessment is continuous.
- Lecture: Attendance, no assessment.
- Face to Face (contact hours): Assessment is continuous.
- Internship: Hosting company
Award & Graduation
The degree is identical to that of graduates who study the program on home campus.