Bachelor of Business (Tourism and Hospitality) (Top-up)
Developed and awarded by La Trobe University, Australia.
Founded in 1967 as Victoria’s third university, La Trobe University was ranked among the QS Top 50 Under 50 2017 as one of the world’s fastest-rising young universities. The Business School is also ranked 50th in the world for hospitality and leisure management in QS World Rankings by Subject 2017. You can find out more about La Trobe University here.
This 1.5-year advanced standing programme provides students with the business management skills and knowledge needed to work in the rapidly growing tourism industry. It emphasises the application of theoretical knowledge and practical skill. Students will gain hands-on experience in western style food and beverage skills, using computer reservation systems commonly used in the industry and through computer simulation. Graduates typically work in large international companies, resorts, restaurants and hotel chains.
The Bachelor of Business (Tourism and Hospitality) (Top-up) is a fully accredited Australian undergraduate university degree.
Practical training with broad education for industry’s future leaders
An exciting area of growth and innovation, a qualification in tourism and hospitality management provides you with the skills needed for hospitality and tourism supervision with business management skills and an understanding of the dynamics of the tourism industry.
This degree seeks to blend practical training with a broad education for the industry’s future leaders. Besides theories, students will also gain hands-on experience in western style food and beverage skills, using computer reservation systems commonly used in the industry – Opera and Galileo, and through computer simulation. You are also strongly encouraged to work in teams as well as develop your independent study skills.
Graduates typically work in large international companies, resorts, restaurants and hotel chains.
The programme is a fully accredited Australia undergraduate degree and generally qualifies graduates for consideration for admission to Masters by coursework in the following areas:
- Management Information Systems
Masters by Research is also available by application.
Students who graduate with a qualification in tourism and hospitality can work in varied positions. You could consider working in areas and roles such as:
- restaurant manager
- café manager
- food and beverage manager
- hotel manager
- conference and event manager
- human resource manager
- marketing manager
- resort manager
This advanced standing programme is offered full time and can be completed in 1.5 years. It comprises of 12 modules as follows:
- Food and Beverage Supervision*
- Principles of Gastronomy
- Social Media and Relationship Marketing
- International Tourism and Hospitality
- Tourism, Hospitality and Event Futures
- Consumer Behaviour#
- Social Marketing#
- Computer Reservation Systems*
- Tourism and Hospitality Simulation*
- Destination Marketing and Management#
The modules are co-taught by both La Trobe and Singapore-based lecturers except for:
* these modules are taught by La Trobe’s lecturer
# these modules are taught by Singapore-based lecturer
This programme is taught by teaching faculty from La Trobe University, as well as local academics and practitioners in the industry.
The mode of delivery is a blended mode of lectures on campus and online consultation with La Trobe’s faculty where applicable.
For modules taught by La Trobe’s faculty, classes are conducted on an intensive mode: lectures are scheduled over 1 week consecutively. Modules delivered by SIM’s lecturers are run on a regular mode, with classes usually scheduled over 12 weeks in a semester.
Classes are typically of 3 hours duration per session with 10 to 15 minutes break, and are scheduled on weekday mornings or afternoons at SIM HQ, unless otherwise stated.
The maximum period to complete the programme is 4 years.
There will not be any refund should the student fail to complete the course within the maximum allowed period.
Students who exceed their candidature period will not be allowed to remain in the programme, unless an extension to the candidature period is approved by the University.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 40 students.
In the event that the minimum number is not met, the intake may not commence. The student shall be informed within one month before programme commencement.
This is advanced standing programme. Applicants should have relevant polytechnic diploma or other diplomas approved by La Trobe University, such as:
Ngee Ann Polytechnic
- Diploma in Tourism & Resort Management
- Diploma in Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Diploma in Hotel and Hospitality Management
- Diploma in Integrated Events Management
- Diploma in Tourism and Resort Management
- Diploma in Integrated Events and Project Management
- Diploma in Hospitality & Tourism Management
- Diploma in Leisure and Events Management
Other qualifications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
English Language Requirements
- A score of C or better in the General Paper in the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education (Advanced Level); or
- A grade of C or better in English Language in the Singapore-Cambridge General Certificate of Education (Ordinary Level); or
- Evidence of successful completion of studies at secondary or tertiary level with English as the language of instruction; or
- IELTS test score results of minimum of 6.0 with no individual band score less than 6.0
- Other equivalent International English qualifications as approved by La Trobe
S$20,544 payable for 12 modules, payable over 3 semesters
- Fees are valid for July 2018 intake only
- Per module fee: S$1,712
- Above fees exclude textbooks
- First semester fees payable upon acceptance of offer. Subsequent semester fees payable before commencement of semester.
- Students who repeat a failed module must pay a repeat fee of S$1,712 per module. Not all modules will be offered in every semester.
All fees inclusive of prevailing GST.
Scholarships & Awards
Not applicable, this is an advanced standing programme.
Lecturers & Teaching Modules
Average teacher-student ratio is 1:40
Assessment and exams
Assessment components vary from module to module. Students are normally assessed by continuous assessments in the form of class tests, individual and group assignments/projects, case studies, discussion and class presentations etc.
Some modules have a final examination at end of semester. The examinations are usually held from late April to mid-May for the semester commencing in January, and in early October to mid-October for the semester commencing in July. The examinations are scheduled on weekdays and Saturdays, in the morning and afternoon.
Students will have to repeat a module when failed. For modules with pre-requisites, students are required to satisfactorily meet the pre-requisites before undertaking the modules.
Full-time local students : 75%
International students : 90%
Award & Graduation
Students who successfully complete all academic requirements of the programme will be awarded the Bachelor of Business (Tourism and Hospitality) by La Trobe University, Australia.
A degree conferral ceremony will be held in Singapore.