Bachelor of Information Technology
Developed and awarded by University of Wollongong, Australia.
UOW has achieved a 5-star rating in the 2018 Good Universities Guide for Guide for Overall experience; Skills development; Student support; Teaching quality; Learning resources and Learner engagement.
You can find UOW’s awards at http://www.uow.edu.au/about/awards/index.html
A UOW Information Technology degree will provide you with the skills to make a company more productive and efficient through the use of IT. The degree has a solid foundation in theory, analysis, design, and implementation. These core skills are extended into a range of key areas, including network management, systems administration, security, databases, and aspects of software engineering.
Be Tech-savvy, Make an Impact in Your Workplace
Information technology is the backbone of the workplace in every industry, business and trade.
You will bridge the gap between traditional business-only or IT-only perspectives and contribute to the success of your organisation in a broader social and ethically-responsible framework.
You will understand the relevance of business strategy and IT, while emphasising a hands-on system development perspective.
Australian Computer Society (ACS)
The ACS has mutual recognition of qualifications with:
- Singapore Computer Society
- International Federation of Information Processing
- South East Asia Regional Computer Confederation
- Malaysia National Computer Confederation
- Seoul Accord – mutual recognition between ABEEK (Korea), ABET (US), BCS (UK), CIPS (Canada), HKIE (HK and China), IEET (Taiwan), JABEE (Japan)
Study Opportunities (offered by UOW in Australia)
Students in the UOW programme at SIM are eligible to transfer to the Wollongong campus but subject to separate application and enrolment process. Graduates can apply to enrol in the Bachelor of Computer Science (Hons) programme at Wollongong campus.
Potential careers include:
- Software Entrepreneurs
- Computer Programmers
- Database Administrators
- IT Developers and Designers
- Network Managers
- Systems Analysts
- Technical Writers
- IT Applications Designers and Analysts
This programme is taught in Singapore by local academics and/or practitioners as well as UOW academics.
Mode of Delivery
The course is intensive and demanding but rewarding and achievable.
Classes include face-to-face lectures, tutorials and lab sessions.
Classes are typically in 3-hour blocks: 7-10pm on weekdays
Classes delivered by UOW academics are conducted in an intensive mode – a continuous block of seven days for each module, and occasionally will be held on Saturday mornings and/or afternoons.
Students typically study two modules per term. Each year comprises of 4 terms.
To be awarded the Bachelor of Information Technology, student must complete, or exempted from completing (depending on their advanced standing status), a total of 23 modules comprising of core modules, elective modules and one final year project.
Core Modules List
- Networks and Communications
- Human Computer Interaction
- Programming Fundamentals
- Problem Solving
- System Analysis
- Data Management & Security
- Object Oriented Design & Programming
- Introduction to Web Technology
- IT Project Management
- Software Development Methodologies*
- Mathematics for Information Technology
- Principles of eBusiness
- Knowledge & Information Engineering
- Big Data Management*
- Business Process Management*
- Management Information Systems*
- Backend Web Programming*
- Algorithms & Data Structures
- Advanced Programming
- Database Systems
- Cryptography and Secure Applications*
- Network Security*
- Systems Security*
- Multicore and GPU programming*
- Distributed Systems and Cloud Computing*
- Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery*
- Database Performance Tuning*
- Interactive Computer Graphics*
- Game Engine Essentials*
- Mobile Multimedia
- 3D Modelling and Animation*
- Introduction to Management
- Accounting Fundamentals in Society
- Business Communications
- Marketing Principles
- Accounting in Organisations
- Managing Human Resources
- Organisational Behaviour
- Organisational Analysis
- Management of Change
- Statistics for Business
- Economic Essentials for Business
- Fundamental Programming with Python
- Strategic eBusiness Solutions
- Frontend Web Programming
1 Final Year Project
* modules are taught by UOW Academics, supported by local tutors.
The above modules are subject to changes by the university and subject to availability. Not all modules will be offered every term.
Maximum 3 times the duration for completion under a standard full-time load, subject to meeting ongoing course progression rules.
There will not be any refund should the student fail to complete the programme within the maximum allowed period. Students who exceed their candidature period will not be allowed to remain in the programme, unless an extension to the candidature period is approved by the University.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 24 students
In the event that the minimum number is not met, the intake may not commence. The student shall be informed within one month before programme commencement.
- 3 GCE ‘A’ level / 3 H2 passes plus 1 H1 pass with a minimum aggregate of 9 points where A=5, B=4, C=3, D=2, E=1 (for H1 apply half the value)*
- Diploma: 3-year diploma from local polytechnic or its equivalent.
*Minimum Aggregate scores in the qualifications mentioned are required for entry.
Applicants may be admitted to different credit exemptions based on academic results.
English Language Requirements
Applicants with international qualification must meet the University's English requirement:
- IELTS 6.0 (with no band less than 6.0) or
- TOEFL iBT 79 (with each band no less than 18) or
- Pearson Test of English (Academic) 57 (Reading / Writing at least 57 and Speaking / Listening at least 50) or equivalent
Full Programme (3 years): S$33,384.00 for 23 modules, payable over 12 terms
With credit exemption:
0.5 Year credit exemption: S$29,104.00 for 19 modules, payable over 10 terms
1 Year credit exemption : S$24,824.00 for 15 modules, payable over 8 terms
1.5 Year credit exemption: S$20,544.00 for 11 modules, payable over 6 terms
Modules delivered by local academics : S$1,070.00 per module
Modules delivered by UOW academics: S$2,033.00 per module
Final Year Project (FYP) : S$4,066.00 per module
- Fees quoted are valid for Apr 2018, Jul 2018, Oct 2018 and Jan 2019 intakes only.
- Above fees exclude textbooks and repeat fees of failed module. Not all modules will be offered in every term.
- First term fees payable upon acceptance of offer. Subsequent term fees payable before commencement of the term.
- All fees inclusive of prevailing GST.
Scholarships & Awards
- Top graduands from the programme are eligible to receive awards from Info-communications Media Development Authority (IMDA).
- SIM GE Scholarships available
Exemptions are normally granted automatically to students with relevant background. Block exemptions may be granted to students with relevant diplomas from the local polytechnics and universities.
All modules previously studied will be evaluated and compared with the requirements of the student’s programme of study and a block exemption granted where appropriate.
To obtain maximum credit exemption, applicants must have GPA of 2.0 or more (out of 4.0). Applicants with GPA below 2.0 will be assessed on a case-by-case basis.
Click HERE for exemption table
Average teacher-student ratio 1:25
Assessment & Exams
Students are normally assessed by continuous assessments in the following form:
- Class tests
- Laboratory exercises
- Practical laboratory tests
- Tutorial exercises
Some assignments and presentations are group-based. Assessment may have a minimum achievement requirement necessary to pass the module.
Most modules have a final examination at the end of term.
Students are to pass all modules within the current year of study before proceeding to the next year of study. For modules with pre-requisites, students may be required to meet the pre-requisites before undertaking the modules.
Award & Graduation
Students who successfully complete all academic requirements of the programme will be awarded the Bachelor of Information Technology by the University of Wollongong, Australia.
A degree conferral ceremony will be held in Singapore.