Master of Science in Cyber Security and Management
Developed, fully taught and awarded by The University of Warwick, UK.
The University of Warwick is one of the UK’s leading research universities, with an acknowledged reputation for excellence in research and teaching, for innovation and for links with business and industry.
Why choose The University of Warwick?
- Ranked 51st in QS World University Rankings 2016/2017
- A member of the prestigious Russel Group of UK universities
- Top 10 of UK League Tables (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018/The Guardian University League Table 2018)
- Ranked as the first most targeted university nationally by the UK's top 100 graduate employers (The Graduate Market in 2017, High Fliers Research Ltd)
- WMG is one of the world's leading research and education groups, with a track record of hugely successful industry collaboration
WMG, a part of the university, has strong links with companies world-wide. WMG has pioneered an international model for working with industry, commerce and public sectors – understanding a company’s strategy and working in partnership with them to find innovative solutions through multi-disciplinary research.
This programme is fully delivered by practitioners from WMG.
- Three-way participation: University + Organisation + Participant
- Combine academic excellence with industrial experience
- Developed with industry to address real-world problems
- First-hand understanding of issues facing modern business and industry
- Application-based assignments and projects
Benefits to Businesses:
- On the job (in-company) assignments & projects
- Approach business issue as you would with an external consultant
- Immediate application of both concepts and tools
WMG Cyber Security Centre
The WMG Cyber Security Centre (CSC) team at The University of Warwick conducts research into the nature of the cyber environment and the protection of the human experience within it, focusing on delivering transformative solutions for governments and industry, and for individuals and communities, regionally, nationally and globally. The WMG CSC team has recognised expertise in cyber security, especially within government, defence and the law enforcement communities. Its areas of focus include cyber-physical systems, vehicle cyber security, smart cities, digital forensics, advanced network defence, and counterfeit protection.
The CSC's approach is a multi-disciplinary one, combining academics, government and industry experts from a variety of disciplines who bring together the technical and behavioural aspects of cyber security research.
Application Closing Date
October 2018 Intake:
3 August 2018
Events & Programme Briefings
The University of Warwick - Postgraduate Programme Consultation
Come join us on Thu Mar 01 02:00:00 SGT 2018, Thu Mar 01 02:00:00 SGT 2018 - Thu Mar 01 03:00:00 SGT 2018, at Student Recruitment Centre, Blk A, Level 2, SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
SIM Open House 2018 - The University of Warwick Programme Briefings
Come join us on Fri Mar 09 18:00:00 SGT 2018, Fri Mar 09 18:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sun Mar 11 01:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Career Option: IT Jobs in 2020 by ASM Technology
Come join us on Fri Mar 09 20:00:00 SGT 2018, Fri Mar 09 20:00:00 SGT 2018 - Fri Mar 09 21:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
SIM Open House 2018 - Career Insights Seminar: IT Sector
Come join us on Sat Mar 10 19:00:00 SGT 2018, Sat Mar 10 19:00:00 SGT 2018 - Sat Mar 10 20:00:00 SGT 2018, at SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
Cyber security is not merely about the Internet. Our dependence on multiple, complex, interacting digital systems grows day by day. Vehicles, architectural infrastructure, industrial controls, finance flows and medical devices all operate across the cyber domain.
In this programme, you get the opportunity to learn:
- Strategic development and implementation of Cyber Security within an organization
- Understand the Cyber threat to an organization and its resources
- Build and support secure systems that support the strategic growth of a business
- All aspects of Cyber Security including network security, computer security and information security
- The most important technical concepts of security – such as encryption, intrusion detection, penetration testing, access control, digital forensics and investigation, risk management, security governance and network security.
Career Prospects/Further Education
Graduates can expect to go on to work within corporate information - security and technology teams, consultancies, government information-security departments, management tracks in information critical organisations and cyber security related research.
Recent Cyber MSc graduates have gone onto roles within companies such as: Accenture (Senior Cyber Security Consultant), Canary Wharf (Information Security Analyst), Indonesian Ministry of Finance (Information Security Analyst), JP Morgan (Glasgow)(Technology Analyst), KPMG (IT Advisory, Cyber Security), Deloitte (Senior Consultant), ABN Amro (Risk Assessor), Bank of Thailand (Cyber Security Analyst), IBM (Security Project Manager), Ministry of Defence, PWC (IT Risk and Resilience Team), Royal Mail (Information Security Analyst), Emtel Ltd (IT Product Development - Cyber Security), National Information Technology Development Agency of Nigeria (Information Security Analyst), Facebook (Marketing Specialist in Community Operations), Global Network (Programs Executive), PWC (Forensic Technologies & Information Security Analyst), Singapore Police (Senior Investigation Officer), TRB Lightweight Structures (Software Developer), CISCO (Network Consulting Engineer), Tata Consultancy Services (Quality and Security Analyst for TCS-Nokia account).
Graduates can also explore pursuing a Doctorate with the University.
Mode of Delivery/ Session Timetable
Teaching faculty for module component – Academics from The University of Warwick
The programme has a structured curriculum of 9 modules and a dissertation.
Each module is delivered on a modular-basis over a month. The modules are delivered intensively over 5 full days in the day and for some modules, over week nights and full day on weekends.
Each modules comprises approximately 40 contact hours delivered in sessions of 3 to 9 hours usually over 1 week or 2 weekends.
Lectures are held in classes at SIM campus unless otherwise stated.
Course materials are accessible online. Students are recommended to access study and research materials on their personal computers for in-class coursework and dissertation.
- Security Architectures and Network Defence
- Cryptosystems & Data Protection
- Digital Forensics
- Industrial Espionage and Counterfeiting
- Information Risk Management and Governance
Optional Module (choose four)
- Financial Analysis & Control Systems
- Organisations, People and Performance
- Project Planning, Management and Control
- Leading change
- Logistics and Operations Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Procurement and Inventory Management
Participants pursuing the MSc programme are required to successfully complete nine modules; including five compulsory modules and four optional modules.
Full-time students will be offered modules based on the first 9 modules commencing from the start of the programme.
Modules are delivered on a modular basis and are conducted by Faculty from The University of Warwick, thus ensuring academic input for the Singapore programmes. The modules offered will be at the discretion of The University of Warwick and SIM.
Participants will work on a genuine business issue for their MSc dissertation.
Participants will complete the dissertation in accordance with the University guidelines and standards under the guidance by industrialists and academic supervisors. The dissertation will be moderated by a senior member of the University on completion.
The dissertation must be completed and submitted within the programme duration.
On completion, participants are required to conduct an oral presentation on their dissertation topic.
Duration of Programme/Candidature Period
1 year full-time programme
Students who have not completed the programme requirements in the candidature period will not be entitled to any recourse or refund.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 25 students
If the programme fails to commence due to low take-up rate, students will be informed at least 1 month before class commencement.
The programmes will be targeted at suitably qualified applicants working or intending to work in the IT security industry. Qualifications in engineering, IT or scientific discipline may be considered. Candidates with business degrees should have suitable IT coverage within their degree. Any candidate from any background with suitable IT grounding may also be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree (2nd Class Honours degree or its equivalent
Candidates with other qualifications can be assessed on individual merits
English Proficiency Requirement
For Local Applicants:
- Applicants whose entry qualification was attained in Singapore with at least three years of study in an English medium institution are exempted from English Proficiency Requirement.
For International Applicants:
- IELTS 6.5 overall (with at least 6.0 in each band); or
- Pearson Test in English (Academic) with a minimum score of 62 (with at least 59 in each of the four component scores)
These are required to be submitted with the application:
- 2 satisfactory academic/industrial referees, and
- A letter of academic interest and objective in undertaking postgraduate study
An interview by the Programme Director and/or Programme Faculty may be required as part of the admission process. Applicants not meeting the formal academic requirements will be considered on a case‐by‐case basis. Applicants with a work permit or employment pass can be considered for admission.
Programme fee: S$35,952.00* payable in 3 payments (October, January, April)
**Per Module Fee:
- Core Module:S$3,300
- Optional Module: S$3,150
- MSc Dissertation: S$4,500
Total Programme Fee: S$35,952.00
**Per Module Fee also applies to repeat fee (subject to approval).
*All fees quoted are inclusive of 7% GST, but exclude textbooks and course material. Fees are valid for full-time October 2018 intake.
The average teacher student ratio 1: 35
Click here for Lecturers’ Profile and Teaching Modules
Assessment & Exams
- Continuous Assessment such as presentations
Participants are assessed by continuous assessment through coursework – application of concepts and tools to solve company problems.
The MSc dissertation should comprise of the following:
- Address a research question directly relating to cyber security;
- Demonstrate understanding of the particular issues around conducting research in the cyber domain; and
- Conduct research in the cyber domain in an appropriate manner
The dissertation includes an oral examination. Students will be required to conduct an oral presentation on their dissertation topics upon its completion.
Participants will be allowed to progress through each module upon the completion of its coursework.
Award & Graduation
In order to attain the Master of Science in Cyber Security and Management, participants must successfully complete the coursework of nine modules, MSc Dissertation and meet the conferral requirements of the programme.