Postgraduate Award in Cyber Security and Management
Developed, fully taught and awarded by the University of Warwick, UK.
The University of Warwick is one of the UK’s leading research universities, with an acknowledged reputation for excellence in research and teaching, for innovation and for links with business and industry.
Why choose the University of Warwick?
- Ranked 54th in QS World University Rankings 2019
- A member of the prestigious Russel Group of UK universities
- Top 10 of UK League Tables (The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2018/The Guardian University League Table 2018)
- Ranked as the third-most targeted university among the UK’s top graduate employers in 2017-2018 (Graduate Market Survey 2018, High Fliers Research)
- WMG is one of the world's leading research and education groups, with a track record of hugely successful industry collaboration
WMG, a part of the university, has strong links with companies world-wide. WMG has pioneered an international model for working with industry, commerce and public sectors – understanding a company’s strategy and working in partnership with them to find innovative solutions through multi-disciplinary research.
This programme is delivered by the University of Warwick's faculty.
- Three-way participation: University + Organisation + Participant
- Combine academic excellence with industrial experience
- Developed with industry to address real-world problems
- First-hand understanding of issues facing modern business and industry
- Application-based assignments and projects
Benefits to Businesses:
- On the job (in-company) assignments & projects
- Approach business issue as you would with an external consultant
- Immediate application of both concepts and tools
WMG Cyber Security Centre
The WMG Cyber Security Centre (CSC) team at the University of Warwick conducts research into the nature of the cyber environment and the protection of the human experience within it, focusing on delivering transformative solutions for governments and industry, and for individuals and communities, regionally, nationally and globally. The WMG CSC team has recognised expertise in cyber security, especially within government, defence and the law enforcement communities. Its areas of focus include cyber-physical systems, vehicle cyber security, smart cities, digital forensics, advanced network defence, and counterfeit protection.
The CSC's approach is a multi-disciplinary one, combining academics, government and industry experts from a variety of disciplines who bring together the technical and behavioural aspects of cyber security research.
Five Reasons to choose Warwick's Cyber Security and Management
Events & Programme Briefings
The University of Warwick - Postgraduate Programme Consultation
Come join us on Fri Jan 25 02:00:00 SGT 2019, Fri Jan 25 02:00:00 SGT 2019 - Fri Jan 25 03:00:00 SGT 2019, at Blk A, Level 2, Student Recruitment Centre Meeting Room 2C, SIM HQ, 461 Clementi Road, Singapore 599491 ...
Cyber security is not merely about the Internet. Our dependence on multiple, complex, interacting digital systems grows day by day. Vehicles, architectural infrastructure, industrial controls, finance flows and medical devices all operate across the cyber domain.
In this programme, you get the opportunity to learn:
- Strategic development and implementation of Cyber Security within an organization
- Understand the Cyber threat to an organization and its resources
- Build and support secure systems that support the strategic growth of a business
- All aspects of Cyber Security including network security, computer security and information security
- The most important technical concepts of security – such as encryption, intrusion detection, penetration testing, access control, digital forensics and investigation, risk management, security governance and network security.
Career Prospects/Further Education
Graduates can expect to go on to work within corporate information - security and technology teams, consultancies, government information-security departments, management tracks in information critical organisations and cyber security related research.
Recent Cyber MSc graduates have gone onto roles within companies such as: Accenture (Senior Cyber Security Consultant), Canary Wharf (Information Security Analyst), Indonesian Ministry of Finance (Information Security Analyst), JP Morgan (Glasgow)(Technology Analyst), KPMG (IT Advisory, Cyber Security), Deloitte (Senior Consultant), ABN Amro (Risk Assessor), Bank of Thailand (Cyber Security Analyst), IBM (Security Project Manager), Ministry of Defence, PWC (IT Risk and Resilience Team), Royal Mail (Information Security Analyst), Emtel Ltd (IT Product Development - Cyber Security), National Information Technology Development Agency of Nigeria (Information Security Analyst), Facebook (Marketing Specialist in Community Operations), Global Network (Programs Executive), PWC (Forensic Technologies & Information Security Analyst), Singapore Police (Senior Investigation Officer), TRB Lightweight Structures (Software Developer), CISCO (Network Consulting Engineer), Tata Consultancy Services (Quality and Security Analyst for TCS-Nokia account).
Graduates can also apply credits obtained from the Postgraduate Award and pursue a Master of Science degree with the University.
Mode of Delivery/ Session Timetable
Teaching faculty – Academics from the University of Warwick
The programme has a structured curriculum of 3 modules. The modules are delivered on a modular-basis over 12 months.
Each modules comprises approximately 40 contact hours delivered in sessions of 3 to 9 hours usually over 1 week or 2 weekends.
*Typical module schedule:
Mon – Fri: 6:30pm – 10pm (Wed: no class)
Sat: 9am – 6pm (2 weekends)
Sun: 9am – 6pm (1 weekend)
*Schedule is subject to changes
Lectures are held in classes at SIM campus unless otherwise stated.
Course materials are accessible online. Students are recommended to access study and research materials on their personal computers for in-class coursework.
Core Module (choose two)
- Security Architectures and Network Defence
- Cryptosystems & Data Protection
- Digital Forensics
- Industrial Espionage and Counterfeiting
- Information Risk Management and Governance
Optional Module (choose one)
- Financial Analysis & Control Systems
- Organisations, People and Performance
- Project Planning, Management and Control
- Leading change
- Logistics and Operations Management
- Supply Chain Management
- Procurement and Inventory Management
Part-time students may choose from the modules offered at SIM during the candidature period.
Modules are delivered on a modular basis and are conducted by Faculty from the University of Warwick, thus ensuring academic input for the Singapore programmes. The modules offered will be at the discretion of the University of Warwick and SIM.
Duration of Programme/Candidature Period
1 year part-time programme
Students who have not completed the programme requirements in the candidature period will not be entitled to any recourse or refund.
Minimum Class Size
Minimum class size to commence: 20 students
If the programme fails to commence due to low take-up rate, students will be informed within 1 month before class commencement.
The programmes will be targeted at suitably qualified applicants working or intending to work in the IT security industry. Qualifications in engineering, IT or scientific discipline may be considered. Candidates with business degrees should have suitable IT coverage within their degree. Any candidate from any background with suitable IT grounding may also be considered.
- Bachelor’s degree (2nd Class Honours degree or its equivalent); or
- 3rd Class Honours, Pass or Ordinary degree with 2 years of relevant post-qualification industrial experience
- Matured candidates (at least 30 years old) with SIM’s or local Polytechnic’s Advanced Diploma and 8 years of relevant work experience
Candidates with other qualifications can be assessed on individual merits.
English Proficiency Requirement
For Local Applicants:
- Applicants whose entry qualification was attained in Singapore with at least three years of study in an English medium institution are exempted from English Proficiency Requirement.
For Non-local Applicants:
- IELTS 6.5 overall (with at least 6.0 in each band); or
- Pearson Test in English (Academic) with a minimum score of 62 (with at least 59 in each of the four component scores)
- TOEFL 92 (IBT) with broadly consistent scores in each of the four elements in the test
These are required to be submitted with the application:
- 2 satisfactory academic/industrial referees, and
- A letter of academic interest and objective in undertaking postgraduate study
An interview by the Programme Director and/or Programme Faculty may be required as part of the admission process. Applicants not meeting the formal academic requirements will be considered on a case‐by‐case basis. Applicants with a work permit or employment pass can be considered for admission.
Programme fee: S$10,432.50* payable on a per-module basis
**Per Module Fee:
Core Module: S$3,531.00
Optional Module: S$3,370.50
**Per Module Fee also applies to repeat fee (subject to approval). Fees are inclusive of 7% GST.
*All fees quoted are inclusive of 7% GST, but exclude textbooks and course material. Fees are valid for part-time March 2019 intake.
The average teacher student ratio 1: 35
Click here for Lecturers’ Profile and Teaching Modules
Assessment & Exams
- Continuous Assessment such as presentations
Participants are assessed by continuous assessment through coursework – application of concepts and tools to solve company problems.
Participants will be allowed to progress through each module upon the completion of its coursework.
Award & Graduation
In order to attain the Postgraduate Award in Cyber Security and Management, participants must fulfil the programme’s attendance requirement, successfully complete all 3 modules’ coursework and meet the conferral requirements of the programme.